Thursday 11 April 2013

I Have Not Been Idle.....

I have been on a short course at West Dean with Sarah Macrae, 'Perspex and Polypropylene Jewellery'. Polypropylene did not do a lot for me, but Perspex! I have never used it before, but will certainly do so again. And I learned so much about other things too; although the workshop often smelt like a 'cheap nail salon' as another student put it, the filing and polishing we were doing was nothing to do with manicures or false nails. The magic of taking a rough surface and making it shiny by use of graded sandpapers and
polish is something I have never experienced. Of course I am completely hooked and now need a collection of needle files and wet / dry papers. The wish list also includes a bandsaw, a belt sander and a flexible drive drill. Although the good thing is that power tools are not really necessary, as everything can be done by hand, it just takes a little longer. My dearest, bestest friend was on the course too, which made it even more special.

Herewith the results of my labours:-




Buttons made with clear acrylic, dyed with disperse pink.



Two sets of hair sticks. The tortoiseshell ones are old knitting needles with copper coloured acrylic discs taken to a high shine, which does not show.



'Beach Glass' bangle



'Beach Glass' and 'Jet' beads awaiting the right joining method which does not interfere with the purity of the shapes.



Ice cube beads (again waiting for the proper way to connect) and a rainmaker totem. The image was shared with me by Vivienne from her sketchbook of American cave drawings.



Two pairs of earrings in my favourite colours.



And a fascination! Tried to light it to show the colours properly, to no avail.

I have more things in a box awaiting completion once I have acquired some tools.

Today I am off to The Novium, Chichester's city museum to do a three hour weaving demo as part of Woolly Week. Update later.

Location:Just Away from the Loom

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Locations of visitors to this page